Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Seeing Wikipedia posts during SOPA blackout

Wikipedia has blacked out its contents today to fight against SOPA. So if there is anything you *must* see right now, do the following,...

But before you do that, learn about SOPA (its wicked, bad and evil). Tweet about it. Tell your friends, colleagues,...

And before I tell you how to go about this, I want you to know that I *hate* SOPA. I am a programmer who uses Debian GNU/Linux. I want all to join the fight for freedom, freedom as described by Stallman. But if you are dying to see that page, here is how,

If you are a little techie,
  • install firebug in firefox.
  • Go to the wiki page you want to see
  • Click on the firebug button in your toolbar, to see the firebug window down.
  • Expand the tag
  • Find this "style id="mw-sopa-blackout" " and click on it and press the delete button
  • Collapse the tag and expand the tag.
  • Find this span role="treeitem" class="nodeLabelBox repTarget "<div id="content" style="display: none;">
  • Delete display: none;
  • The page should be visible now.
If you are not a techie at all,
  • Save the page, by pressing Ctrl+S.
  • In your file explorer, (My Computer or Nautilus), find the save file.
  • Right click and choose Open with and open using notepad or some text editor.
  • Use find to search for the following "/table "
  • Delete from that part to the beginning of the page.
  • Open it in a browser now (preferably in a Firefox or chrome).
If you are a super techie, you must be pissed off at me... :( I sincerely support the fight against SOPA. I voted for the blackout at HN, and wikipedia myself. I tweeted about it. I didn't call anyone (congressman) because I'm from India, nevertheless I did my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment